The Berrien Community Foundation provides grant services for the Frederick S. Upton Foundation
Mission of the Frederick S. Upton Foundation
The mission of the Frederick S. Upton Foundation is to uphold and perpetuate the wishes of its Founder:
- To love your community
- To be aware and perceptive as to what is needed – economically and culturally – to improve and enrich the quality of life of its inhabitants
- To work together as family members and trustees, serving others through the Foundation with wisdom and compassion
Frederick Stanley Upton made his living and lived his life in a near identical manner.
As one of the founding fathers of Whirlpool Corporation, Frederick Upton began making his mark in the world before the Great Depression. He was industrious, ruggedly astute and driven, but never blinded by a passion to succeed. He led by example so others would see the virtues of dedication and hard work.
In turn, Frederick Upton lived his personal life in much the same way. He inspired others to give the world the best because he believed the best would come back, time and time again. He was an important man who made sure all others felt important and welcome in his presence. His kindhearted demeanor resonated in his generosity, making it evident even to those who did not know him personally. It was obvious to all that Frederick Upton was a devoted philanthropist, steadfast in an innate desire to give back to his hometown.
On November 30, 1954, the Frederick Upton family gathered to officially organize a foundation to bear the Upton name. Margaret Beckley Upton joined her husband at the table along with their two sons, David and Stephen. Family members continue to serve and comprise the entire board of trustees.
The Frederick S. Upton Foundation has three grant cycles each year. Deadlines are March 15, June 15 and October 15. To request a grant application email Lisa Cripps-Downey or call the Foundation at 269-983-3304 ext. 1.
- The focus for the grants is agencies serving Berrien County, Michigan.
- Agencies are allowed one grant application per year
- Grantees must contact the Foundation prior to submitting a grant