In order to support organizations that are serving those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak, Berrien Community Foundation and United Way of Southwest Michigan are offering emergency grants.
At this time, these grants will focus on programs doing emergency relief. Please keep in mind that urgent needs will be prioritized over longer term sustainability projects. Applicants are asked to look at their ability to serve over the next 2-4 weeks and describe any needs/gaps in service that they anticipate having in that time frame.
- food pantries
- child and baby needs
- needs for shelters
- help for homebound seniors
Application Due Date
The application process will remain open throughout the COVID-19 crisis or until further notice is given. Grants will be reviewed and awarded on a bi-weekly basis until further notice.
Eligible entities are:
- 501c3 nonprofits
- Religious organizations doing community work
- Schools doing community work
Please note, if you have never received a grant from Berrien Community Foundation OR United Way of Southwest Michigan before, you will be required to provide the following documentation:
- IRS Determination letter indicating 501c3 status
- 990 or most recent audit
- Operating budget
We will reach out to you if this information is needed.
These grants are available to those serving in Berrien, Cass, and Van Buren counties.
To access the online grant application, you MUST create an account. This allows you to save your application and return to it later.
You can create an account by clicking the "Log In" button at the bottom of the webpage.
A few helpful hints:
- Write down your login information. We are NOT able to retrieve it for you.
- To save your application, select "Save Draft" at the bottom of the page.
- You should receive a confirmation email after submitting your form. If you do not receive this, please check you've clicked the "Submit" button (not just "Save Draft") and your junk folder, then contact Susan Matheny at email@example.com.
- Some applicants have found it helpful to answer the questions in a Word document and then copy and paste into the form. This allows ease of editing and is a safeguard for saving your work. Please note any formatting in the Word document will not transfer into the application form.