The Humane Society of Southwestern Michigan was incorporated in 1934. In the 1960's the original Humane Society was built in Benton Harbor, that structure was in operation until April of 2018.
In Spring of 2018, a new, larger, more efficient facility opened in Saint Joseph. They receive no state or federal funding. The society is solely reliant on private donations, foundations and trusts. The Humane Society is a no-kill shelter.